Like every whisky we make at Found North, our single barrel program takes advantage of the precision afforded by blending Canadian whisky. We use well-aged whiskies to create an initial blend. We then re-cask that blend into a variety of different barrels, using different oak types and different char levels to create varying flavor profiles and a distinct style for each single barrel. Our program therefore allows us to be particular about the starting point of our single barrels, while also creating distinctiveness and individuality from barrel to barrel.
A “Season” is defined by the starting blend for a group of single barrels. No two Seasons are the same. Every round of single barrels we release will start with a new and different blend that can be identified by which “Season” is denoted on the label.
Season 2 started as a 4-whisky blend with the following ratios:
- 29% 12 year rye in ex-bourbon
- 30% 23 year corn in New Wood
- 36% 15 year corn in ex-bourbon
- 5% 25 year corn in ex-bourbon
We blended Season 2 in April of 2023 and rebarreled it into 20 different casks in May of 2023. Knowing we were filling these barrels right before a hot summer, which would lead to heavy barrel extraction, we used a relatively small proportion of whisky aged in New American Oak. The 30% of 23 year whisky set a foundation of sweetness and viscosity, while the remaining 70% of the blend was comprised of ex-Bourbon aged whiskies to allow space for significant wood extraction. The rye provided a rich baking spice and surprisingly crisp fruit notes. The 15 year corn in ex-Bourbon lent a vibrant butterscotch quality, while the touch of 25 year corn provided a deep floral secondary note.