- Destilado de Agave produced in Santiago Matatlán, Oaxaca
- Maestro Mezcalero Gonzalo Martinez Sernas
- 100% Tepeztate (A. marmorata)
- Cooked in a conical underground oven using pine and mesquite
- Milled using traditional stone tahona mill drawn by a horse
- Fermented in open air pine vats (tinas)
- Distilled twice using traditional copper pot stills
- Sichuan peppercorn, Granny Smith apples, and fresh dryer sheets lift off into a palate of bright yellow bell peppers followed by a brilliant tropical and floral spectrum which flashes past before a delicate finish recalls the peppercorns amid an ocean spray. Racy and bracing, like a cool breeze off a coastal mountaintop. Very highly recommended but not for the faint of heart.
- 65.7% ABV
Maestro mezcalero Gonzalo Martinez Sernas prefers his spirits strong and intense. Whether by proof or by raw product, his recent batches which could hardly encapsulate that impulse better. This batch of puntas—the drinkable “heads” of a distillation run—is sure to set heads spinning both figuratively and literally. Historically considered “the mezcalero’s cut,” these are among the first releases of puntas to be commercially bottled and available in the USA.